Go Back

  

 History
 

Washington-Henry Elementary School has a long history dating back to 1778 when citizens from Hanover founded Washington-Henry Academy - a private boarding school for boys. Not quite 100 years later, girls were enrolled in the school for the first time.
     
In the early 1900's, Washington-Henry became a public school housing grades one through eleven.  In 1938, the school was built on its present site as a high school. Later, in the 1950's, an addition accommodated the growing enrollment until 1958 when Lee Davis High School opened and Washington-Henry became an elementary school for grades one through seven.

During the 1970 - 71 school year, kindergarten students entered Washington-Henry for the first time. When Hanover County progressed to the middle school concept during the 1990-91 school year, Washington-Henry became a kindergarten through fifth grade school and has remained that way to the present time. 

 

 

Mailing Address: 9025 Washington Henry Drive,  Mechanicsville, VA 23116             Tel: 804.723.2300            Fax: 804.723.2301            Email Webmaster