ARTICLE I: IN GENERAL
Table of Contents
POLICY 4-1.1 PURPOSE
The Hanover County School Board considers the non-instructional or “support services” operations of the Hanover County Public Schools an important component of the educational process and therefore expects this segment of the administration to operate and maintain the school physical plant and equipment in such a way as to achieve the following objectives: high standards of safety, healthful conditions for students and staff, surroundings requisite to a sound educational climate and an environment reflecting the moral and cultural aspirations of the Hanover community at its best. The support services, therefore, will be designed to complement the instructional program. The School Board expects all support services to be consistent with and responsive to the goals and needs of the school division.
To fulfill this function, the School Board intends to:
1. Ensure the proper operation, management and maintenance of school buildings, grounds, vehicles,
equipment, and services;
2. Establish an effective and economical maintenance program, including preventive maintenance of school
property, vehicles, buildings, and equipment;
3. Set high standards of safety;
4. Promote the health and well-being of pupils, staff and patrons; and
5. Establish efficient procedures for the management of the food service program.
LEGAL REFERENCE: Code of Virginia, 1950, as amended, §§ 22.1-78, 22.1-79(3), 22.1-89, 22.1-89.1, 22.1-136, 22.1-137, 22.1-138, 22.1-184, 22.1-253.13:2; Virginia Board of Education Regulations Governing School Facilities and Safety, 8VAC 20-131-260.
Recodified: August 2000