ARTICLE III: OFFICERS
Table of Contents
1-3.2 School Board Officers
1-3.3 School Board Clerk
POLICY 1-3.1 SCHOOL BOARD ORGANIZATIONAL MEETING
The Hanover County School Board shall organize annually by the election of officers at its first meeting in July. The first order of business shall be the election of the School Board Chairman. The new Chairman shall then assume office and preside over the remainder of the meeting. The School Board may also elect a Vice-Chairman.
At its annual organizational meeting, the School Board shall appoint a clerk and a deputy clerk based upon the recommendation of the division superintendent. The clerk and deputy clerk shall be eligible for reappointment. The School Board shall approve a designee of the division superintendent to attend meetings of the School Board in the absence or inability of the division superintendent to attend. The term of office for the above positions shall be one year. The agenda for the organizational meeting shall include setting times, places and dates of regular School Board meetings and other items of annual business as appropriate.
Recodified: August 2000
POLICY 1-3.2 SCHOOL BOARD OFFICERS
The officers of the Hanover County School Board shall be a Chairman and Vice‑Chairman. The Chairman and the Vice‑Chairman shall be elected annually at the organizational meeting of the School Board.
School Board Chairman
The duties of the Chairman shall be to preside at all meetings of the School Board, to perform such other duties as may be prescribed by law or by action of the School Board, to sign all legal documents approved by the School Board and to serve as an ex officio member of all School Board committees.
The Chairman, as a member of the School Board, has a vote on all matters before the School Board which come to a vote, but does not have an additional vote as Chairman in case of a tie.
The Vice‑Chairman shall preside in the absence of the Chairman, and shall be empowered to act in all matters in case of the absence or inability of the Chairman to act or as provided by resolution of the School Board. If neither the Chairman nor Vice-Chairman is present, the majority School Board members present, if they constitute a quorum, shall elect one from among themselves to chair the meeting. The Vice-Chairman shall perform such other duties as the School Board may assign.
In the event that the Chairman of the School Board should vacate his office, prior to the expiration of his term, the School Board shall fill the position by election from its membership at its next regular meeting following the acceptance of such notice. A vacancy in the office of clerk or deputy clerk shall be filled in the same manner in which the previous incumbent was originally appointed on recommendation of the division superintendent.
LEGAL REFERENCE: Code
POLICY 1-3.3 SCHOOL BOARD CLERK
On recommendation of the division superintendent, the Hanover County School Board annually, at its organizational meeting, shall appoint a clerk, and may appoint a deputy clerk.
The clerk and deputy clerk shall each be bonded in an amount no less than ten thousand dollars ($10,000), and the School Board shall pay the premiums for each bond. The clerk and deputy clerk shall discharge under the general direction of the division superintendent all duties as required by law and such other duties as may be required by the School Board or the Virginia Board of Education, including but not limited to:
1. Attending all meetings of the School Board and keeping a record in a bound journal of its proceedings.
2. Keeping an account record of all receipts and disbursements of the School Board as prescribed by law.
3. erifying all statements for payment after audit and under the direction of the division superintendent or his designee; seeing that all accounts of the School Board are kept accurately, and making such reports and performing such duties as are required by Virginia law, regulations of the Board of Education, the School Board and the division superintendent.
4. Notifying members of any regular and special meetings of the School Board and of committee meetings and attend all such meetings unless otherwise directed by the division superintendent.
5. Serving as custodian of the seal of the School Board.
6. Presenting at each regular meeting of the School Board an accurate financial statement of all appropriations, expenditures, and balances.
The clerk and deputy clerk must take an oath of office prescribed for State officers.
Recodified August 2000